Saturday, November 26, 2011

#32 He Doesn't Like Deep Fried Turkey


Our Thanksgiving turkey for quite some time was cooked in the traditional format, in the oven. In those days, our eyes were blinded to the depth of possibilities in goodness that a turkey could have. Now, we feast on two birds.

I said it, two.

The traditional weighs in at at least 22-pounds, and don't get me wrong, I still love it. There is nothing quite like ripping a piece of roasted turkey off the bone as it drips with natural juice sent straight from heaven.

The deep fried turkey weighs in at a measly 13-pounds only because the deep fryer can't hold more. I'll try, but mere words do not work quite as well as the look on one's face and the sounds that are made after sampling a piece of deep fried turkey.

If a deep fried turkey is foreign to you, and the words do not make a symphony begin to instantly play as your heart starts to palpitate, my heart has just broken for you a little.


I'm not quite sure what sight could be lovelier than that.

Our deep fried turkey is Cajun injected. That means that aside from just being deep fried (which honestly, is awesome enough) it is injected (literally, like with a plastic needle and everything) with Cajun seasonings, and then my dad also coats it the night before in a Cajun rub.

Let not this word "Cajun" worry you. While it can be a little on the spicily flavorful side, it is not overpowering at all. In fact, the meat is made juicier than one could imagine possible. As a dark meat lover, I never eat white meat because I find it dry and boring, but from the deep fryer, I allow white meat upon my plate.

And, (hands over your eyes if you are a health freak) the skin is the absolute best part. Perfect crispness with delightful taste oozing from corner to corner.

My dad used to have to go outside to fry our turkey for the dreaded fear of fire. But last year, I found the bargain of all bargains that has made his life, and mine, full of deep fried enchantment.

While at my local Acme, my husband and I stumbled upon an electric turkey deep fryer that could be used indoors. We were stunned, flabbergasted in fact. Of course there are the tiny deep fryers that can be used indoor to fry things like french fries, chicken tenders, onion rings, hot wings....

(Do you think we do this often? Perhaps, every Fry-day? Seriously, we do.)

...but an electric deep fryer big enough to fry a 13-pound turkey and able to be used inside? We thought it was unheard of. Then we looked at the price and thought we were insane. $30.

After pulling my phone out to check the price online we realized that this fryer was going for about $110 everywhere else.

(Fortunately for you, I've found it today on Amazon.com and it is only $84.98:)

The fryer was instantly purchased (instantly, because it was the only one there and clearly anyone who had walked by this deal before us had taken leave of their senses momentarily). Life has not been quite the same since.

At our weekly "Fry-day" my dad will fry up hot wings in this fryer and we will sing praises for the goodness of flavor that fills our mouths.

But Thanksgiving is our deep fryers true time to shine. To those who are leery, you must try it at least once in your life. If for some reason you decide it is not heaven on earth as I claim, you may sit on the side of the table with my husband, otherwise known as the side reserved for wimps and health freaks.

And then that just means there is more deliciousness for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment