Tuesday, January 10, 2012

#37 He is Honest

Welcome to my newest obsession:


Oh yes. A thing of complete and absolute beauty. Good for me I read the directions (for once) and used a plastic bag to drizzle the dough into the mold.

Otherwise this would be a very different picture:

You know, instead of perfectly filled circles they would have been overflowing out the wazoo, with chocolate oozing out in places no human would've imagined possible with a garnish of flour and sugar scattered about the table.

However, the machine isn't complete perfection yet. I am in desperate need of finding the perfect chocolate donut recipe. You know, glazed chocolate donut quality. Dunkin Donuts double chocolate donut quality. The kind of donut that when your teeth sink into the thick chocolate goodness they become instantly coated with not only chocolate, not only glaze, but smooth chocolate frosting.

Ok, I'm drooling a little.

I knew when I first made the recipe for chocolate donuts included in the box that it would be a problem. When a recipe calls for a 1/2 cup of cocoa to 1 and 1/4 cups of flour and 1/2 cup of sugar, there is bound to be a flavor problem.

(1/2 a cup of cocoa! I'm still trying to wrap my brain around that one!)

However, there was also a sour cream donut recipe included, which did not involve chocolate, that is divine. Then again, what with sour cream is not divine?

(By the way, I could really go for some loaded nachos right now....)

The sour cream donuts were made the day after I made the chocolate ones as a way to say to my husband, "No, this machine IS really awesome, it CAN actually make great stuff, and it is NOT a waste of money!" Timing was everything there, because after one bite of the chocolate donut, I was pretty sure he would never try another donut from the machine again.

The sour cream donuts received an 'okay' rating from him. (He went back for more, so I know deep down it was more than okay. He just had to save face as the donut critic).

Here's what my rendition of the sour cream donuts, with less than a honkin' 1/2 cup of cocoa added, looked like:

I thought maybe the sour cream magic would turn my donuts into perfection. Sadly, they were not at all, in any way shape or form, the perfect chocolate donut, but I'm working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment