Tuesday, April 26, 2011

#6 He Introduced Me To "V for Vendetta"


"People should not be afraid of their governments.
Governments should be afraid of their people."
-V for Vendetta

I don't usually choose this kind of movie to watch. In all honesty, I am a girlie girl when it comes to movies. My number one pick is typically a love story. However, never again will I watch "P.S. I Love You" or "The Notebook". They are terribly depressing movies that should never be considered love stories.

My second choice would be a comedy. Then, a mobster movie. (Yes I know you're thinking, "Really, mobster? How does that relate to love stories and comedies?" It is a simple connection of childhood and ethnicity. Growing up I watched action movies with my older brother almost every night. As a teenager, I was obsessed with my Italian background--actually, who's kidding, I still am---so, although I have dismissed the action movies from my preferred movie choice, the mobster/gangster ones I still have a tender spot for).

Lastly, I will also choose to watch almost anything in black and white specifically, but not limited to, anything with Lucille Ball or the Marx Brothers. (Okay, I do realize they are comedians and that takes me back to my comedy category, but honestly, I will watch most black and white movies despite their content.)

"V for Vendetta" is not at all classified with any of these types of films. The closest it would come to is the mobster flicks. Imdb.com considers it "Action, Sci-Fi, and Thriller" (I'm assuming the Sci-Fi comes from the fact that the setting takes place in a future time from now. Otherwise that one doesn't make sense to me).

Without giving anything away, the movie is set in England during a time where it has succumb to fascist rule and a totalitarian government. A man considered to be a terrorist (but only because he does not submit to the totalitarian government, if you know what I mean) known only as "V" has made it his purpose in life to try to abolish this set government.

Further description of the film is not necessary. It is one of those films that after you watch it you feel this eerie reality that what you have just witnessed could actually occur presently in the place in which you live. It makes you begin questioning and thinking. (Something which I doubt even a "free" government truly wants you to do.) Following such feelings is the intense burning inside of you to do something. You are filled with an indescribable want to get up get out and make a difference because the message created a burning passion that you didn't even know you possessed.

Now that is a good movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment