Thursday, August 2, 2012

#71 He Wears Red, White, and Blue


This week I have felt very American.  My hubby is always very American (perhaps not everyone's definition of very American, but very American regardless.).  When we were first married, I had to learn how to ever so kindly express that I didn't particularly care for political discussions at 11:30 pm as I was trying to fall asleep.

Alright, in all honesty, I don't often care for political discussions at 11:30 am either.  While I do enjoy the occasional political discussion, they seem to get out of hand and carried out to a point where I'm simply exhausted in thinking about them.

But this week I have felt inspired by many situations that surround me and participating in them, in the little ways that I can, has helped make me feel very American.

The tragedy in Colorado has made me embrace my fifth amendment rights with a much greater stronghold than I had before.  It doesn't give me a fear of firearms, but a fear of not being able to be armed wherever I go.  I stress, wherever I go.  It gives me a mistrust for anyone who would suggest the idea of limiting purchases of firearms and/or ammunition to taxpaying, law following Americans.

The controversial issue of Dan Cathy's personal belief comments and the persecution of Chick-Fil-A has made me get involved by standing up for my first amendment rights through silent protest.  Eating a chicken sandwich has never felt so good.  This incident has brought to light how so many Americans can tout double standards and speak out about tolerance when clearly in their ignorance they are lacking an understanding of the definition of tolerance.

On a lighter note, the Olympics have made me feel very American as I sit in bed late at night cheering for people whose names I just learned last week.  We share a common bond, we are all Americans.  I'm filled with pride as I see America coming in second with the greatest number of medals awarded.  And on a personal level I'm inspired to strive for physical fitness in my own life.

The best part of all this is that because I live in America, I'm allowed to have my opinion of what I consider to be American pride.  And to me, nothing beats embracing constitutional rights and cheering for the red, white, and blue.


No comments:

Post a Comment