Monday, September 16, 2013

#107 He Cuts Off His Mustache

It's been one of those months.  Of course it is the times when I have no time to write that there are a million things for me to write about.  So much has been going on, so many things I am storing in my mind for later, but I thought I'd give you a little glimpse into my world for the last two weeks based on the pictures in my phone....and a few from my DSLR.


We harvested our corn.  Even though it wasn't the sweetest or largest corn, we enjoyed it because it was our own.  Hopefully next year we can make Jersey proud with some more authentic tasting Jersey corn.

But it's a start.


Hubby took me to my first Yankees game.  While I'm not a real sports fan per say, I have an odd attraction to the Yankees and their team colors.

And I don't mind the game of baseball all that much either.

Now football, that's another story.

Sorry.  I've tried, a pathetic number of times.  I just can't make it happen.

  
We enjoyed dinner over our friends Jen and Tyler's house.  Tyler made us coffee in this strange science lab like piece of equipment.  It was an experience of epic proportions, at least, for a coffee lover like me.  More on this, eventually, over at The Orange Strainer.


I celebrated my birthday a little early with my family.  We ate pizza.  The best pizza in the world.  It was heaven.


Everyone entertained my stance that I am celebrating my 25th birthday for the fourth time.  It made me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Or perhaps that is just what senile feels like.


After my early birthday dinner, hubby took me out to Cape May to enjoy the sea air, go shopping, and eat at our favorite restaurant: Oyster Bay.  We found this decoration at an olive oil store and I contemplated yanking it off the wall and making a run for it.

Sort of like the scene with the blue horn in the first season of "How I Met Your Mother".  Except I didn't have the nerve to do it, so I suppose in the end it is nothing like that.


This was also one of the last days I spent with Hubby's curled mustache.  Yes friends the time had finally come.  He snipped off his curls and made me one of the happiest women on earth.  And believe it or not, his reason for cutting it had nothing to do with my birthday.

Or me at all.

I promise.


I celebrated most of my birthday with 18 five-year-olds.  It was a fabulous day.  (And that comment has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that my students had an early morning special, which was back to back with lunch and followed by recess).  It seems that when it's your birthday the goodies and snacks you receive from family, friends, and co-workers is endless.

After I rolled out of school, literally, I had a quiet dinner with hubby.


Friday night we went to see my sister-in-law, Kristina, in a local theater production of "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum".  During intermission Jonathan and I took a thousand pictures on my phone.  I've spared you and posted only one.

Apparently, the blurriest one.


Hubby took me shopping for my birthday present: a new kitchen table.


I'm in love with this table.

We have very limited counter space in our kitchen.  Considering the amount of time I spend in the kitchen, the table we currently have just wasn't cutting it.  The height was too low.  When I would use the kitchen table for food prep, I'd end up with my back strained, my brain spinning, and steam gushing out of my ears.

It's true.  My poor husband has endured so much.

Our new table is the perfect height and has a tabletop perfect for tasks like rolling out cinnamon rolls and chopping up onions.


Sunday I went to the first ever family reunion of my father's side of the family.  


I think the best part (other than, you know, reconnecting with family I've never met) was that they all share the deep reverence that I have for desserts.  The dessert table was overflowing with an abundance of sugary delights.  I couldn't have been happier to be from this family.


I brought four desserts because I don't know how to minimize.  These mini doughnuts were a hit.  While I've made several mini donuts before, I've never made DOUGHNUTS.  I've made donuts.  Not douuuggghhhnuts.  I've learned.  I've cracked the mystery that has baffled man for centuries: What is the difference between donuts and doughnuts?

Donuts can be made with an oven (or in my case, a mini donut maker), with flour, without yeast.

Doughnuts are made with yeast and frying and oil.

And Dunkin' Donuts just has it all backwards.

The end, amen.


We let the non-Lunetta blood hop in for a picture.  Not a bad lookin' bunch, if you ask me.

Here's my question...

Why is the sun shining on my face only?  It makes me look photo shopped into the picture.

But I swear.

I was there.

This ends my short rendition of the past two weeks.  But don't worry, there's more a'comin.

No comments:

Post a Comment